page > Lesson Plans > Health
& Physical Education >
Fitness > Bring
Physical Education Home
Bring Physical Education Home:
Overview: Extend physical education to include regular exercise
in the home, and present proper sleeping, eating and exercise habits as
part of a larger picture of personal wellbeing.
Teacher Preparation: Prepare handouts of various exercises.
- Talk regularly about the relationship of exercise to health, productivity,
- Discuss various health problems that can be eliminated or minimized
by regular exercises or stretching.
- Students invent their own exercises, focusing on certain parts of
the body or muscle groups, or...
- Pick from existing exercises already used in class.
- Students can teach exercises to adults at home.
- Have kids figure out an exercise regimen they can undertake at home.
- Include stretching exercises that may be done as part of TV watching
- Children can talk with their parents about their physical activity
as children, and why they do or don't exercise now.
- Students can keep a chart of exercises performed nightly by themselves
and their parents.
- Write about results of their teaching experience.
- Can have adults help them check and record their heart rate before
and after exercise.
Options/Variations: Posing a question recently to our own high
school age children of "how many of your friends DON'T smoke?"
resulted in the answer: "none." Need we say more?